2/6/2019 7:54:27 AM (GMT+3)

FIFA, Qatar set up joint venture to deliver 2022 World Cup

FIFA, Qatar set up joint venture to deliver 2022 World Cup

DOHA: Global soccer body FIFA and the 2022 World Cup hosts Qatar announced a joint venture for planning and delivery in the run-up to the quadrennial tournament.

FIFA in its statement said that it would hold a 51 percent share of the venture while the Qatar organising committee would hold the rest 49 percent.

"Today we take a major step in the organisation of the biggest single-sport event in the world," said FIFA Secretary General Fatma Samoura, who is part of the nine-member management board that met for the first time on Tuesday.

 “I am convinced that this new approach to planning, delivery, and legacy, always hand in hand with our colleagues based in Qatar, will help to ensure that the World Cup continues to be the most eagerly awaited event by billions of fans worldwide, ”Samoura added.


Hassan al-Thawadi, head of Qatar’s Supreme Committee for Delivery & Legacy, explained that after nine years of work, FIFA’s extensive tournament experience was the need of the hour.

“The formation of this new joint venture comes at a strategically important time on Qatar’s World Cup project,” he said.
 

“As we shift our focus from delivering stadiums, training pitches and the transportation required for 2022, to fan and player experience and event operations,” he explained.

Thawadi said Qatar was determined to “ensure that the first FIFA World Cup in the Arab world is one of the best ever”.

 

Another member of the Qatar 2022 delivery team, Nasser al-Khater, said the joint venture’s aim was to collectively develop the best possible operational plans for 2022.

 

“It is the work we do now which will ensure the experience we deliver is unlike anything previously witnessed at a tournament,” he said.

Besides Al Thawadi, who is also the Secretary-General of the SC, FIFA’s Chief Tournaments & Events Officer Colin Smith has been named as Managing Director of the FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022 LLC.

 

The Qatar-based joint venture that will plan and deliver the next FIFA World Cup will work together with FIFA in Zurich as one team and combine, at all levels, the event experience we have there with invaluable knowledge from our colleagues in Qatar. It is a very important step, which shows how FIFA and the hosts are working together to deliver a successful and memorable event," Smith said.

Tags: