10/21/2018 11:21:10 PM (GMT+3)

We worked diligently after Saudi-led blockade: Al Thawadi

We worked diligently after Saudi-led blockade: Al Thawadi

Doha: The Supreme Committee for Delivery & Legacy Secretary General Hassan Al Thawadi reiterated that Qatar is fully prepared to deliver a stunning FIFA World Cup in 2022 despite the ban imposed by Saudi Arabia and other neighbouring Gulf nations.

“We worked diligently after the blockade last year. Prior to it, we contributed securing sources but when it came into play, we looked at alternate sources and opened up the doors to more new options. We sourced alternative materials from other suppliers. I’m happy that our project scale is on time and there is no significant impact on the projects,” said Al Thawadi at the FT Future of Football summit here on Tuesday.

The Qatari official exuded confidence that before the mega event, Qatar will complete its several projects including the Qatar Rail.

“Our projects are going ahead as scheduled. The blockade is no risk in relation to the hosting of the tournament. Every project has contingency plans and we have had contingency plans in place from the very start. We contacted the main contractors and put in place alternative supply chains after the blockade was imposed on us.

“The rail will be operational from next year. I personally took a trial trip from Lusail City yesterday and I must say that the distances will become shorter thanks to the introduction of the rail,” added Al Thawadi.

Al Thawadi also said that the World Cup would double up as a forum to bridge differences and bring peoples together.

“Qatar believes in mutual respect and the principle of peaceful co-existence. We are a mosaic of people of different nationalities, beliefs and cultures, living together and in harmony. We are working towards a common vision,” he said.

Tags: